Friday, September 7, 2012

Public Speaking

I hate public speaking! I don't like to get in front of people and have to talk. This week we have to present a famous speech. I am not at all ready for this speech at all!!!!!!!I am so nervous about doing this speech the very thought of it gives me butterflies.

Speaking for me is not easy. I have a thick accent so I pronounce words differently than the people here.

My speech is by Emma Goldman. She gave this speech to a court jury in New York. Emma and he lover, Alexander Berkman, were being tried for propagating ideas to the public about not joining the draft for World War I. Berkman and Goldman had been in jail many times before this because they were Anarchists who challenged everything. 

In her speech Goldman uses Jesus as an example a lot. She argues Jesus was never within the law of his time yet still "lives" today as a symbol among many other "criminals" for making a difference in their time period. She believes it is her right to tell people not to register for the draft. Which in a way it is, she is just practicing her First Amendment rights.

Public Speaking 9/7/2012 http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-78bamGNf7GU/T0fJ3NBYmDI/AAAAAAAAI4k/uhYpmpcNT8Y/s1600/public_speaking.jpeg



After her speech to the jury they found she was guilty and Goldman and her lover Berkman were sentenced to two years in prison.

I am just hoping I actually get the part right I have chosen to say. I have some major trouble with the first part but the second part I can say almost by heart.

Yesterday, I finally said my speech. before going up to speak I got incredibly nervous and started forgetting all my lines.  Once I calmed down and started my speech I was okay and actually did quite well I must say.

No comments:

Post a Comment